Preventing Neck Pain at Work
- April 21, 2017 at 9:35am
- Josh van Kalken
Preventing Neck Pain at Work
Does your neck get stiff and sore at work, especially after hours of typing away at the computer? Don’t worry you’re not alone!
One of the most common problems we see as physiotherapists is neck pain in people who spend a lot of time sitting at a desk and typing on a computer. The pain is often described as a feeling of tightness or stiffness, often spreading down to the shoulder or up to the head.
The most common cause of this problem, more often than not, is actually working posture and computer setup. This is because poor posture, especially a ‘hunched-shoulder’ posture, which is common in office workers, can lead to muscle tightness in the neck and shoulders, leading to joint stiffness and neck pain.
Therefore, the best way to treat a sore neck is actually through prevention. This can be done by adopting a good working posture by ensuring:
1. You sit upright in the chair with your feet comfortably on the floor.
2. The keyboard is at a height which allows you to type with your shoulders relaxed and down, rather than hitched up.
3. The computer is level with your eyes, so you don’t have to strain your neck looking up or down at the screen.
4. Get up and move! Ensure at least once an hour, you get up, move around and have a good stretch to keep your muscles relaxed and your joints moving.
If your muscles feel particularly tight, you can loosen them with an easy stretch. Simply bend your neck to the left, so your left ear is close to your left shoulder, then turn your head to look at your left shoulder. You should feel a stretch down the right side of your neck. Simply hold this for 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side.
Although these handy hints are a great way to alleviate most instances of neck pain, sometimes a more experienced hand is required. If this is the case and you are still feeling discomfort or pain in your neck, feel free to book an appointment with one of our experienced physiotherapists.
Until next time.
Recent Blog Posts
A home care podiatrists is a health professional who provides podiatry consultations in the comfort of your home. A podiatrist is a specialist in t...
- Aug 11, 2018 1:04pm | Ben Strachan
Best practice for client information privacy has changed. The European Union has released the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), a set of ...
- May 14, 2018 6:36pm | Ben Strachan
The Australian government has a scheme called the "EPC" program. It entitles people with a chronic disease or illness to five bulk billed allied ...
- May 13, 2018 6:30am | Ben Strachan
The Australian Government has released its 2018 Budget and "Seniors Are The Big Winners." The have announced a significant increase in funding for ...
- May 12, 2018 4:32pm | Ben Strachan
Owner Health has upgraded our online booking page. We are determined to provide the best online booking portal for home-visit clinics.
- May 07, 2018 8:12pm | Ben Strachan